Running, maintaining and upgrading existing buildings can be challenging, particularly when faced with a wide variety of different system designs using different manufacturers’ products.
All buildings require regular maintenance and an essential aspect of this is the challenge of optimising flows to reduce energy consumption in order to ensure that comfort levels in the building are maintained at all times. Accurate monitoring of the energy used by the tenant and the efficient billing to each of these can also add to the long list of tasks.
Products to help you
Marflow Hydronics can assist you with these challenges in many ways:
We have a wide range of products that are easy to work with, all with excellent availability of parts or replacements. Products can be easily maintained using the comprehensive, easy to understand installation, operation and maintenance instructions (IOMs) or with direct assistance by referral to our team of highly skilled engineers.
Help with commissioning
These techniques include, Remote Commissioning, Continuous Commissioning, Single Station Balancing and Dynamic Flow Networking.
Using Remote® Commissioning techniques, network connected actuators on rotary type pressure independent control valves can set the required flow rate to a terminal unit. The commissioning of the system is considerably reduced as valves can be opened, closed and trimmed remotely from a laptop computer.
Continuous Commissioning is a process facilitated by “Remote® Commissioning” whereby the “health” of a system is promoted and checked regularly to avoid deterioration in comfort and energy efficiency.
- At periodic intervals all valves are opened fully to allow accumulated air and dirt to be carried through the system to filters and air traps
- At predetermined intervals the system is checked to ensure that the correct flows are being delivered to terminal units.
- Seasonal commissioning and variable set point management can be determined
- Rebalancing of a system after a change of use of a part of the building can be avoided
Single Station Balancing (SSB) is a technique we have developed to help improve the commissioning of variable volume systems. SSB uses a subtraction technique to troubleshoot and identify problem valves in a system, verifying the correct flows through a distribution system equipped with PICVs.
All valve information and hydronic performance data is collated into a spreadsheet package with changes being easily tracked and monitored and problem areas easily identified and communicated.
Early identification of problem areas reduces maintenance costs and call-out charges making SSB the perfect addition to any preventative maintenance schedule.
Dynamic Flow control valves enable dynamic pressure independent control in “real time”, networking with room temperature controllers over the HVAC bus, converting this to a flow set point whilst measuring the flow through the valve. Valve position is controlled so that the temperature set point in the room is maintained, irrespective of variations in pressure.
This system is particularly beneficial to Facilities Managers as the valve always adapts automatically to system conditions, regardless of pressure variations, and will automatically seek the most optimal operating conditions to ensure maximum user comfort at minimum energy consumption.
These options bring many benefits to Facilities Manager such as:
- Unoccupied sections of a building can be controlled efficiently and remotely
- Occupied floors can be balanced independently of those floors not yet completed or commissioned ensuring tenants are comfortable
- Full flexibility of flow adjustment
- 100% control valve authority lowers pump head and optimises energy consumption
- Changes to a building or space usage (whether permanent or seasonal) can be easily accommodated, manually or remotely, to ensure that comfort levels are maintained and flow and temperature control are optimised, reducing wasted energy in unoccupied or rarely used spaces
- When the rotary PICCV is selected, our unique and groundbreaking “Remote Commissioning” system allows it to be connected via BACnet to a BMS controller and a commissioning package. This permits adjustment of the PICVR from a remote PC without the need for physical presence in the building, thus avoiding the lengthy and obtrusive work on site in ceiling voids usually associated with manual balancing systems
- Comprehensive literature, installation manuals and training available
- Highly skilled service and support team to assist you at all stages, on-site if required
- Remote Commissioning allows the FM team to control valves remotely from a laptop
- Single Station Balancing (SSB) allows the FM team to identify and troubleshoot problem areas
- Continuous Commissioning helps health check a system periodically
- Dynamic Flow Control valves assist the FM team as the valve always adapts automatically to system conditions, regardless of pressure variations, and will automatically seek the most optimal operating conditions to ensure maximum user comfort at minimum energy consumption